The Importance of Cleaning Adult Toys
When you use adult toys be it vaginally (vibrator, strap on) or anally (butt plug, dildo) it is very important that you keep them clean.
Adult toys that are shared can pass on sexually transmitted diseases (STIs), blood-borne infections (infections passed on through the blood) and by incorrectly/insufficiently cleaning adult toys can cause bacterial infections.
- Keep adult toys clean: clean them after each use with antibacterial adult toy cleaner.
- Cover penetrative adult toys, such as rabbit vibrators, strap-ons or dildos with a new condom before someone else uses them.
- Do not share adult toys or have different adult toys for each partner.
Do not share any adult toy that may draw blood from the skin because this type of adult toy can pass on blood-borne infections. If there are any cuts or sores around the vagina, anus or penis and blood is present, there’s an increased risk of passing on infections.
Cleaning adult toys
How you clean an adult toy depends on:
- what the adult toy is made of i.e.: glass or silicone
- if the adult toy requires batteries and has parts that cannot be washed or made wet
Adult toys should come with advice about how to clean and store them. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
For adult toys that can be washed, make sure you wash them thoroughly with warm water and soap or use antibacterial cleaner after each use and between uses if used on different parts of the body, such as the mouth, vagina and anus or if being used by different people.
Check adult toys before use for any scratches or breaks in the surface material where germs could be present and spread, increasing the risk of infection.
Any signs of damage or imperfections then the adult toy should be disposed of (time for a new one!!).
Don't let your best friend become your bodies enemy, as they say a change is as good as a rest.